Thursday, March 28, 2024

identity exercise: good host

 I don't have the gift of hospitality, so it's kind of strange to think I'm a good host.  But I think the reason is that people feel accepted by me.  I like that; I want people to know that they are acceptable just the way they are.  

Although I sometimes feel stressed about people coming over to my house, I mostly just want them to be comfortable.  So my house isn't super clean or clear of clutter, but that's not the important thing, it's how people feel.  I like to be at ease in my house and I want people to be at ease too, so my brand of hospitality is to have people help themselves.  I think that as I learn to be at ease in my own skin, I make people feel less awkward around me.

I had a friend tell me once that she felt refreshed at my house, and I love that.  It doesn't take a house in perfect order to minister peace to people who turn up.  I think if I embrace my gentle and accepting nature, that makes people feel at more at peace themselves.  

Because I don't necessarily feel gifted in hospitality, I think I'm just kind of a "what you see is what you get" person.  I don't feel like I really have anything to prove when I have people over, so I'm just myself and that adds to the comfort factor for visitors and people around me.

Good host.  I wouldn't have said it about myself, but I love that being who God made me, makes people feel comfortable enough for it to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment