Saturday, October 28, 2023

identity exercise: comfortable to be with

 In an effort to learn to embrace my identity in a positive way instead of shame based living, I told Brant I would make a list of good things about me and write about one each week.  The problem is, I couldn't think of anything without denigrating each one.  So I enlisted some help.  I asked the story leaders and some close friends from around here to send some ideas, even though it felt super cringy.  They were happy to oblige. I printed them out and put each thing into a jar, and now the jar is just waiting.

I have yet to pull from it.  I still feel like everything they said was lovely, but also, what can I think of to say about this stuff that I struggle to believe in without adding caveats and exceptions?

Uuuuuugh.  Ok.

"Comfortable to be with"

Thank you, Lord.  This is one that I actually, truly like.  I love that people find me comfortable to be with.  I'm not usually bothered by silence in a small setting with people I know, so for the most part, an extended silence doesn't feel awkward.  I think I am comfortable to be with because I tend to be able to accept people the way they are and where they're at.  I don't feel the need to demand change or talk them into a different opinion or feeling.  Somehow I am able to allow their feelings to exist even when I am uncomfortable, which is odd considering my own issues with feeling, and my reaction to anger most of the time.  

Being comfortable to be with is a valuable trait to have because people need a safe space to just "be."  I love that I can offer that to my friends.  I love that I can be someone who is restful and easy to be around.  It makes me happy to let people be who they are and love them the way they are.  

But also, I think people feel comfortable examining themselves and owning up to areas of growth when they are with me.  I think that I am able to bear witness with a detachment that helps people not to fear judgment.  I know that I am discerning, so I can offer valuable input without feeling threatened - people can take or leave it and that gives them freedom to listen without worrying about my response.  

I am rarely afraid to talk about the hard things with people.  I let them work out what they need to, and I usually offer a fairly unbiased view because I have the ability to see all sides of a thing.

Comfortable to be with is a great thing about me.  I'm glad it's something that's part of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment